Register to receive periodic updates on our legislative agenda and notifications on when to contact your legislators urging them to take action.
We Can Change the Mental Health Crisis in North Dakota
North Dakota has seen the highest increase in rates of teen suicide in the United States:
- In 2017, suicide was the second leading cause of death for children ages 10-24. Our state consistently ranks in the top 10 states with the high suicide rates. What is most alarming is that the rate of suicide is increasing at twice the national average.
- 9% of North Dakota youth have seriously considered suicide in the past twelve months and 20% reported feeling hopeless.
- 23% of children in the United States – 17.1 million – have or have had a psychiatric disorder. That is more than the total number of children with cancer, diabetes and AIDS combined.
- 50% of all psychiatric illness occurs before the age of 14, and 75% by the age of 24.
- There is an average delay of 8-10 years between the onset of mental health symptoms and intervention.
Together, we have the power to make things better. We know that public policy decisions can dramatically change youth mental health outcomes for the better.
We are currently setting our legislative strategy for the 2021 General Assembly. If you would like to get involved with legislative activity in ND please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
“I have battled with my mental health for most of my life. I knew mental health needed to be talked about, but I didn’t know how to start the conversation. Today, my voice is being heard, through Robbie’s Hope.”